Go down
View user profile

Suggestions and Ideas. Empty Suggestions and Ideas.

on Mon May 18, 2020 10:57 am
Has anyone any Suggestions and Ideas for getting back on the water?
Start using the forum or send an email to Pip.
View user profile

Suggestions and Ideas. Empty Re: Suggestions and Ideas.

on Tue May 19, 2020 5:40 pm
good afternoon all,

We could always try some of the following suggestions

Stagger entry times and the amount of people permitted onto the Mere, which will in turn limit the number of boats at any one time. Stipulate that only single sailors should be out on the Mere & that access to both the clubhouse & changing area is strictly off limits, with only 1 member of the Committee permitted in each area at any given time.

Any boats which enter the water have approx 2 hrs of time for sailing, this will ensure times are available for as many as possible who wants to sail.

You could offer a time table type operation were members phone and book their slots prior to arriving at the club thus stopping over crowding of people who may just turning up and then being disappointed not to mention creating dangerous over crowding.

2 person sailing could be possible when members are from the same family and who usually sail together.

For those who may share a boat but from different families or are just friends who sail together MUST wear full face masks while on the jetty and in their boats.

Boats should then be thoroughly sanitised before & after use.

hope this helps a little

Ensure that people follow standards of good hand hygiene & if possible, have plenty of sanitizer available.

View user profile

on Wed May 20, 2020 4:29 pm
The main problem is we don't have any washing or decent toilets.
View user profile

on Wed May 20, 2020 4:38 pm
Do we have full cover for safety boats. And we're do we stand with a capsize and the person has to be taken from the water. Mask may have come off.
Robin glen
View user profile

on Wed May 20, 2020 4:54 pm
A good point Robin, The RYA suggested that people only go out when the weather is OK but as we all know that can soon change.
The safety boat driver would have a mask and visor.
View user profile

on Fri May 22, 2020 10:46 pm
This is a serious situation but I think we may all be getting a little paranoid. The Corona reports we receive via the media are based on statistics which may or may not be accurate but we all take them in and allow them to control our reasoning. I didn't start sailing until I was 65 years old am now 69 sailed regularly into my fourth season,
capsized many times, have never needed physical assistance or had to get up close and personal with safety boat crews. This probably as far as boat capsizes go from my
observations is pretty much par for the course with regards to regular sailors. If I could produce a statistic to calculate the risk to safety crews to catching the corona virus from people who are declaring themselves to be virus free and have not knowingly been in contact with anyone who may have been exposed to it then I believe the risk to be minute. Yes we must be prepared but lets not be afraid of our own shadow. By the way the over 70s play a huge part in keeping the club going so lets be sensible.
Admin
View user profilehttps://www.hornseasailingclub.org.uk

Suggestions and Ideas. Empty How can your club plan to safely reopen its buildings

on Tue May 26, 2020 3:10 pm
If you want to hear what's going on and get involved with the North East Club Development Forums have a look here.
How can your club plan to safely reopen its buildings
https://www.rya.org.uk/newsevents/events/Pages/rya-north-east-club-development-workshop.aspx
View user profile

on Sun May 31, 2020 10:04 am
I think Coronavirus is here to stay, it will be ages until there is an innoculation, there may never be one, there is no proof yet that getting it leads to any immunity. And apparently 50% of Coronavirus cases are asymptomatic. So we either need a solution or there will be no sailing.
In general the middle of a lake in the fresh air has to be about as far as you can get from Coronavirus at the moment.
I would also think that most capsizes don't involve being pulled aboard the safety boat, but rather attending while the sailor recovers, but I'm not a driver so may be wrong. The rules upon which weather causes the flag to be lowered and sailing to stop should be stricter.
I agree about the toilet facilities. Would the portaloos have to be moved outside? I think not, just shout at the door to ensure the RH side of the clubhouse is empty. We provide a wipe for any surfaces touched (to be disposed of correctly!). And an outside, foot operated tap (washing your hands is useless if you then have to turn a tap off), but maybe we don't have an outside drain? Then it could be at the waterside, and set up at the start of each session (more work).
If necessary we collect an extra 50p from each sailor to cover these things (probably requires an extraordinary GM which is in itself dangerous).
We do not help each other moving boats about, or only if we are prepared to wipe down the surfaces afterwards. What about rope handling upon the jetty? Just because I don't think you can get a sufficient dose from a rope, doesn't mean we don't have to abide by the rules, we are not Dominic Cummings.
Obviously these are just ideas I am throwing up in the air to be shot down by those who know about such things. I'd be surprised if many people are reading this forum, let alone on a regular basis. If someone would like me on the team recommended by the RYA then let me know. If someone wants to meet in the open air for a brainstorming likewise.
Admin

on Sun May 31, 2020 2:42 pm
Thanks for taking the time to come to the forum.
PERSONALLY I agree with what you are saying and it makes perfect sense.
One problem would be that Natural England is unlikely to be happy with us allowing dirty water into the mere.

I will email you. CC
View user profile

on Sun May 31, 2020 4:27 pm
Hi all,

Given these awful times anything we do would not be 100% safe but respect for each other and our surroundings should win over the situation.
When I am flying RC planes our club only allows 2 people at a time with a limit of 2 hours. We then have a 15 min change over period so there's no contact at all and like the mere, our club / flying field and surrounding area is vast.

As Neil1 said, there are a lot of clever people at the club and a meeting to barnstorm some ideas might be a good idea...We can only try and work together to make it as safe as possible

Admin

on Sun May 31, 2020 9:17 pm
It looks as if we are having a booking system with sessions in the morning and afternoon and, as recommended by the RYA a maximum number of people/families at one session but we haven't come up with any details as yet.
We are having a committee meeting at the weekend. I'm sure Pip will put the details in an email and I will put some details on the website if the committee is OK with that.
If you send me your email address I will add you to the email that's doing the rounds.
Charlie Smile
View user profile

on Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:55 am
THIS IS WHAT THE HUDDERSFIELD SAILING CLUB HAS POSTED AND OPERATING ...hope it helps

Covid - 19 Restrictions  

Sailing resumes on Friday 29th of May (Club members only - training activities are still in abeyance).

To ensure that social distancing is maintained there will be a limit of ten boats on the water at any time. A booking system has been devised to co-ordinate this. You can book a morning or afternoon session by following this link:
https://sites.google.com/view/boshawbooking.
To register click on Instructions - Self Service and follow the steps shown.  

The clubhouse will remain closed except for the toilets. There will be no access to the changing rooms, race tower, container or mast locker. The club boats will not be available for use.

Please maintain the two metre social distance between people outside your household at all times and avoid rigging your boat in the area shown Here

Please read the detailed guidance available http://huddersfieldsailing.org.uk/HSC_General_Guidance.pdf

A comprehensive risk assessment can be found http://huddersfieldsailing.org.uk/Corona_risk_assessment.pdf

Please do not come to the club without a booking.
Admin

on Tue Jun 02, 2020 2:54 pm
Thanks Mark.
I added the hyperlinks to the two documents you mentioned and copied it to the committee.
Smile CC
View user profile

on Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:26 pm
Suggestion: each person coming to the club should bring their own fresh water, bowl, soap and waste water container and then dispose of the waste at home. Similarly, any own dispoable gloves used should be taken home
Admin

on Wed Jun 03, 2020 4:45 pm
Thanks for your input I'll mention it at the committee meeting.
CC
View user profile

Suggestions and Ideas. Empty launch / land assist

on Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:26 pm
how about a dunck bucket with steriliser solution and rope or strops on the launch ramp?? I have 2 long strops rated at 3 ton that I would be happy to loan...
Admin

on Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:01 pm
Not sure what you mean Rupert.
CC
Sponsored content

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum